Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Don't worry folks, I made it.

Hey,

There is a lot to tell… bare with me.

 

So after two planes, two trains, a few cabs and lots of walking; I made it!

Where to start… I took the plane from Grand Rapids to Newark no problem along with a man who looked like the Grandpa in Gilmore Girls, if that means anything to anyone. After a 4-hour layover I got onto my plane for Rome. I had to switch with an older man so he could sit next to his wife so I ended up in a middle seat next to… a very round man lets say, but I managed to sleep a little bit with the help of a Tylenol Cold. I went to Roma Termini and took the train to Fabriano. So I get off (this is the only epic part of my traveling) go over to the time table to find out when my next train is, then I look up to see that the train I need to get on is right next to me and it was supposed to leave 10 minutes ago. So I book it to the first open door and jump into the train, trying to heave my 49.5 pound luggage up the steps of the door, an old man had to help me get it up. That was before I realized that that it was an old school train that needed a man to close the doors manually with a key, so I must have looked pretty ridiculous, but it was quite the adrenaline rush. 

 

So I made it to Macerata around 4:30 and was brought to my “single room” which really was only a single room because I was going to be sleeping there alone, along with 7 empty beds… kind of creepy, like something out of a scary movie. But luckily, after going out to dinner with Carly (a student that was also here last semester) I came back to two new roommates and then at around 6 am were joined by another 3 and I have to say, boy did I have it easy getting here, these girls had been traveling for 2 full days!

 

We all slept until pretty late, and I would have slept later if it hadn’t been for one of the girl’s alarms at 12:30. After an unusual shower, I went out with a few others to get a bite to eat, pizza of course (but zucchini mind you). We met at 3:30 at the hostel (Ostello) with Filiberto ( I hope I’m spelling that right) and went on a quick tour ending at the school. We had a little orientation discussion and then went out for hot chocolate and then back to the Ostello for a big dinner.

 

I have to say, I wasn’t so sure about this at first, when you’re traveling alone for over 24 hours you a lot of time to think. But, I’m pretty positive now that this is where I want to be, and I am totally ready to take on whatever comes my way… hopefully.

 

Well I will try to write again soon and at some point will post pictures because this place, is something else.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I set up an account so I can comment on your posts! how devoted....not.

    You mentioned getting help from old men at least three times in that post! What did i say about staying away from the boys?!?! I am glad that you came to the conclusion that you know you are where you want to be. That is so cool. I love moments like that. I'm so happy for you and proud of your bravery!

    I appreciate the gilmore girls reference too. always.

    can't wait to hear more.

    love,audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. you and old men, my dear!
    pictures? soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ce sont de bonnes nouvelles et je suis heureuse que tu sois bien arrivée. Ces voyages sont souvent tellement pleins de surprises ! J'espère quand même que tu ne rencontreras pas que des vieux !
    Alors vite, encore des nouvelles
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete